Friday, June 26, 2009

Summer Safety


It is that time of the year again here in California where it gets hot. Not just a little hot but VERY hot. Why would this concern me? Why else? The dogs. If you haven't noticed these furry angels are covered in a thick layer of hair with 101 degree body temperatures. Now, I know not many people read my blog but a little awareness can go a long way and maybe people that do read can help spread the word.

This may seem a little harsh but I mean the following with only the best of intentions.

Heat Stroke:
During these huge heat waves one problem is heat stroke in animals. You notice that a lot of cows die during these heats (at least out here in the country)? Well dogs do too.

1. DO NOT leave your dog in the car with the windows up! Even for a five minute jaunt into the store, it can take those five minutes for your dog to die from heat stroke. Upon seeing these dogs locked in their cars I think it is only appropriate and it's legal to call 911.

How can you avoid doing this? Roll down the windows, have someone wait out with them, or, preferentially, don't take your dog out. I can't figure out why, during the summer, people feel more obligated to take their dog out and about with them. If you really feel you have to and have a well-behaved dog, take them to a dog friendly store so that they don't have to wait outside.

2. DO NOT leave your dog outside without access to all day shade and water. They get hot like people do and need both water and shade. You would be surprised at the number of people who treat their dogs so inhumanely. This is also an appropriate time to call animal control. It is abuse.

How can you avoid doing this? Make sure your dog has plenty of water... maybe even a little pool to play in.

3. DO NOT overwork your dog. Going out for a five mile jog or uphill hike is probably not a good idea unless your dog is used to it. I can tell you my dogs can barely last a mile. And again, like you, they get hot. They need water and a break.

How can you avoid doing this? Uh... Don't do it? :-) Sorry, that answer is too obvious. This is Belle not overworking. She's got her blankie and her bed. She's happy.


Tips for Heat Survival:
1. Don't let your dogs feet burn.
Dog's feet can burn. I learned this lesson the hard way. No, I didn't burn my dog's feet but I saw him starting to do the "hot feet" dance and ended up carrying my 75 lb. Zastrow-boy the half mile back to the hotel. My brother and I shared the job and set him down in the shade when possible.
How can you avoid this?
There are several ways. First, check the ground, I put my hand on the ground and if I can't hold my hand there for a couple of seconds it's too hot or you can just anticipate it being hot.
Now you have several options if it's too hot. Take them off the ground is the most obvious but that's not always an option. The next one is to buy dog booties! I highly recommend Muttluks. I have had them since Lacey, my 4th CCI puppy, and love them. They are easy to put on and they STAY on. Genevieve is now wearing them too, even though Vieve is MUCH smaller than Lacey. All my puppies have been trained to wear them with patience. Be cautious with these things because dogs sweat through their feet so give them some time without the boots on or at least time to cool down. If there is NO other option either carry them or put them on cool ground. Asphalt is very hot.
Tip: Have them walk on the white part of cross walks, it's cooler than the other parts.
This is Lacey sporting her Muttluks during the heat of July in Disneyland. Do you notice how she is in the shade?
Remember, the back of trucks get hot too, if you are so inclined to leave them in the back of your car! Standing on burning metal or rubber in the back of trucks burns your dog's feet just as bad as cement. And people wonder why dogs jump out of the back of the trucks?

2. Wet your dog down.
You can mitigate some heat by putting out a bucket of water or ice for them to play in or the ocean! I have a small pool for my dogs to play in during the summer. Belle believes she is a diver and goes under water to blow bubbles.
I also bought my dogs a "wet" collar. I soak it in water and then can either freeze it or just put it on the dog. Since this "coolness" surrounds the neck where all the blood passes through, it cools their blood and the dogs down. I bought mine from Outward Hound and love their stuff (everyone knows my infamous "puppy" sling and the "dog" bag, both are from Outward Hound). You don't have to buy one of these because even a wet towel works just as well.
Below, Belle sports her collar during an outing to MoBand.


3. Water Your Dog!
One severe cause of sickness in dogs during the summer is dehydration. Make sure that in the back of your car is a bowl for water or at least a water bottle that they can drink from. I've had to cup my hands and buy a bottle of water when I have forgotten. Ooops. I have a water bowl in each of my cars and carry one also in my backpack for school. I, of course, carry one when I go on vacation to Disneyland or camping. They have foldable ones, fabric ones, but my personal favorite is the throwaway tupperware. I don't feel bad when I lose it. CCI made a great one about four years ago that folded in on itself with a little clip and zippered pouch on it. I still have it to this day.
Tip: Dogs also like ice cubes. It cools them down, keeps them occupied, and waters them all at the same time. I defrosted one of those full sized freezers with Yancie. That was probably the best day of her life. The ice cubes were bigger than her head. I'm going to experiment this summer with making dog popsicles.

4. Turn a fan on your dog.
I have a fan turned on Belle during the night when she is panting. Unlike us, she cannot take her blanket off. It's a tiny fan but makes all the difference. My labs don't always need one but sometimes they do. I've been known to get up in the middle of the night, throw a wet blanket on their kennel floor, and find a fan for them. Some dogs also need a "summer" cut by their groomer which will help keep them cool.

For a little more information, the ASPCA has some extra information.

No comments: